Anti Slavery (John Brown)

John Brown Biography | American Battlefield Trust

My name is John Brown, an Abolitionist. I was born on May 9th, 1800 in Torrington Connecticut. I was very religious and I believed that slavery was man's greatest sin. When a white pro-slaver murdered abolitionist Elijah Lovejoy, I spoke publicly; "Here, before God, in the presence of these witnesses, from this time, I consecrate my life to the destruction of slavery.

I thought that the only way I could free slaves was slaughtering people who were pro-slavery. Some people called me a madman and murderer, while others compared me to Christ. Some even said that I started the Civil War. But I considered myself a visionary and I did spark something that no man had ever done before. 

"These men are all talk. What we need is action--action!" 
I started my campaign through the Bleeding Kansas crisis of 1856. It's also been called other names like the Border War. I led small groups of volunteers and my sons where we kidnapped pro slavery men from their homes and butchered them with broadswords. That event is now known as the Pottawatomie Massacre. I also did battle against 400 pro-slavery men, which is now known as the Battle of Osawatomie. During that battle, one of my sons that I took with me was killed. 

I once raided an armory in Harpers Ferry to try and arm slaves to begin an anti slavery rebellion. 7 were killed, ten more injured during the heist and only a few slaves stood with me, and that's when 36 hours later my men and I were caught. We were captured, and I was convicted. Long story short,  I was found guilty and sentenced to death by hanging. 
I was the first person to be executed for treason in the history of the United States. 

"If it is deemed necessary that I should forfeit my life for the furtherance of the ends of justice, and mingle my blood further with the blood of my children and with the blood of millions in this slave country whose rights are disregarded by wicked, cruel, and unjust enactments, I submit; so let it be done!

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/retropolis/wp/2017/12/02/unflinching-the-day-john-brown-was-hanged-for-his-raid-on-harpers-ferry 

https://books.google.com/bookshl=en&lr=&id=ChI3Yh2uqv0C&oi=fnd&pg=PP13&dq=john+brown&ots=YTbR-4BWrC&sig=HI7haRfArCn3xXAvYBnR3NkKBvA#v=onepage&q=john%20brown&f=false 




Comments